Volcker Panel Update on April 23 2007
The Volcker Panel was established in February this year in response to a call from the World Bank's Board in August 2006 about the manner in which the Department of Institutional Integrity was conducting its investigations.
The Department of Institutional Integrity is headed by Ms. Suzane Rich Folsom. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org telephone: 202-473-1700. See Terms of Reference below for the Volcker Panel and memo from Paul Wolfowitz to staff in February.
Mr. Volcker has been less than zealous in moving forward with his independent review and his independent panel members all appear to work for Ms. Palacio, the Bank's Chief Counsel.
To date we understand that no staff involved in the cases that caused the Board concern (India, Cambodia, Kenya, or Democratic Republic of Congo) have been interviewed by Mr. Volker's panel.
The Staff Association has apparently been asking to meet with Mr. Volker and his panel since the panel was formed.
We welcome Mr. Volker's update on his activities, although we find the timing curious.
- MEMO -
From: Chairman Paul Volcker
Volcker Panel Update
Date: April 23, 2007 - 15:40
Sponsor: Legal Department
I would like to update you on the work of the recently appointed independent Panel of experts that I am leading to review INT's roles, responsibilities and working relationships as part of the Bank's Governance and Anti-Corruption Strategy.
The composition of the Panel has now been finalized and we are commencing our work. Under our Terms of Reference, we will "review and evaluate the mandate and authorities, the policies, procedures, practices, independence, reporting lines, and oversight mechanisms related to INT."
In addition to myself, the Panel members include:
Mr. Gustavo Gaviria, (Email: email@example.com, tel: 202-458-0092, currently listed in the World Bank directory as working for Ana Palacio); Mr. John Githongo, (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, currently listed in the World Bank directory as working for Ana Palacio); Ben W. Heineman; Mr. Walter Van Gerven, (currently listed in the World Bank directory as working for Ana Palacio); Sir John Vereker...
See comments for more
Monday, April 23, 2007
Volcker Panel Update on April 23 2007
BLOG ARCHIVE - READ MUCH MORE HERE
- Wolfowitz decries "smear campaign" against him and...
- A Message to Wolfowitz and the Board of Executive...
- Orders to Play Down ‘Climate Change’ Came From Wol...
- Letter from Paul Wolfowitz to Herman Wijffels, Net...
- Shaha Never Seconded to State Department
- News Round Up, May 4, 2007
- News Round Up, May 3, 2007
- News Round Up, May 2, 2007
- EU Parliament Demands US Secure Resignation Of Wor...
- United States seeks to roll back reproductive heal...
- News Round Up, May 1, 2007
- Wolfowitz's Employment Contract
- News Round Up, April 30, 2007
- Document dispute at center of Wolfowitz case
- Volcker Panel Finally Begins Work
- News Round Up, April 26, 2007
- Consequences if he stays
- Former senior staff call for Wolfowitz to Resign
- News Round Up April 25: "biggest crisis in Bank hi...
- NPR - Wolfowitz Case Offers Test of Multilateralis...
- Scandal threatens World Bank's role
- Wheeler calls for Wolfowitz to step down, White Ho...
- What part of 'resign' don't you understand?
- Bank Executive Directors Widen Investigation
- European NGOs back resignation
- Blue Ribbon - Testimonial for Good Governance
- Shaha, Paul and Iraq - Tell What You Know
- Williams & Connolly and Ana Palacio – Tell What Yo...
- Ana Palacio, World Bank General Counsel - Tell Wha...
- Call to Safeguard Reproductive Health at the World...
- Washington's $8 Billion Shadow - Vanity Fair, Marc...
- What do Ana Palacio, Robert Barnett, and Jonathan ...
- High Noon - Wolfowitz Pack Your Bags!
- Sweetheart Deals Not Limited to Sweethearts
- Editorials call for Wolfowitz to resign, cite need...
- Template Available - Staff Letter to Board
- International Herald Tribune editorial calls for W...
- World Bank Staff sick of sleaze and corruption, be...
- ▼ April (38)